By CPT Susan Stankorb
Registered Dietitian, Department of Nutritional Medicine, BAMC
1. Food borne illness is more common in summer months than winter months.
2. The safest way to thaw meat for grilling is
a. Putting it in the refrigerator
b. Running cold water over it in the sink
c. Leaving it on the counter as long as you are planning to cook it immediately once it is thawed
3. Which of the following is NOT TRUE when it comes to marinating meat for the grill?
a. Marinades can be saved and used again as long as you will be marinating the same type of meat.
b. You should never marinate in a metal bowl.
c. Marinating can be done at room temperature as long as you plan to cook the meat right away.
d. You should reserve some of the marinate for use in basting prior to putting raw food in it to avoid cross contamination.
4. In hot weather he maximum time cold foods should be allowed to sit out of the refrigerator is:
a. 30 minutes
b. 1 hour
c. 2 hours|
d. No more than 3 hours
5. Which is the safest practice for serving potato salad at an outdoor BBQ?
a. Placing potato salad in a large bowl over ice.
b. Placing potato salad in a small bowl without ice and replacing it with new bowl when needed or at least every hour.
c. It is not safe to serve potato salad.